Share the Blog

Tuesday, September 23, 2014

Sodom Destroyed


We are still moving forward in our Exploring Bible History.  We are currently EXPLORING the very sad story of Lot and his family and their need to flee Sodom.    



I will be the first to admit, this is not a HAPPY story to teach....but,  it teaches the KIDDOS that GOD means what HE says and EXPECTS us to OBEY!!  



Because of the age group I teach, I don't cover the sexual depravity of Sodom.  I just tell the KIDDOS that the people were very wicked and were not committed to GOD. 





 I focus a LOT of attention on Ezekiel 16:49.     

"Look, this was the iniquity of your sister Sodom: She and her daughter had pride, fullness of food, and abundance of idleness; neither did she strengthen the hand of the poor and needy."   We talk about how GOD does not want us to be PRIDEFUL, LAZY, and HE wants us to HELP those in NEED.    By using this passage it give me an opportunity to talk about behavior the KIDDOS can relate too.  







This is the card we added to our "GOD'S AWESOME PLAN FOR MAN" Timeline.    















This is the KIDDOS Memory Verse.  We sang it to the tune "Three Blind Mice."  They had it memorized before they left the classroom!!!!!  YAY!!!















We sang this SONG.  I personally, had never heard of a KIDDO friendly song about Sodom.  So, I decided to write one....the KIDDOS favorite part of the song was, "She turned around, it was all her fault. She was turned to a pillar of salt."  

(UGGGH, TYPO found after I printed and put the pages together....well, I am gonna have to fix that!!)

If you would like to hear this song click on the following link....It will open the FB page for handsonbibleteacher.  Sodom Was Destroyed By Fire--copyrighted RLD












This is one of the VISUALS I used...
















This one is  the OTHER!!!  It is made from a Mrs. Butterworth syrup bottle.  I coated her with plaster of paris and then spray adhesive and then SALT. LOTS of SALT!!! The KIDDOS LOVED this VISUAL.   They talked about how it was "like" a STATUE.   
I am sure you have seen this idea floating around on pinterest...it has been around for a loooong time. I think it is a very effective visual for my age group.   
















The KIDDOS made a POP UP diorama for the TAKE HOME project.   The enjoyed adding the "FIRE BALL" stickers.  We talked about LOT'S WIFE and her disobedience and how SAD it must have been for LOT and his daughters.  





This gave me the opportunity to talk to the KIDDOS about how our disobedience can have an effect on others.














For our REVIEW GAME we played a game I called, FIREBALL.  I used a balloon and drew flames on it....I then would toss it to the KIDDOS and ask a question from the lesson. They had to answer it quickly and toss it back to me....or they might get "burned."   THEY LOVED IT!!!!  The best thing about using a balloon....those struggling with the gross motor skill of BALL CATCHING were able to catch the balloon.











The NEXT week the KIDDOS did this activity to add to their EXPLORER JOURNAL.










They colored the picture...added the fireballs...and SALTED Lot's wife.








All in all, I think this lesson went really well.  The KIDDOS seemed to understand that we are to OBEY GOD.  I had one of my KIDDOS draw the comparison of NOAH and the world being destroyed.  I was so thrilled!!!  I love when they are able to draw on PAST lessons and compare them.


Blessings,


Ronda

7 comments:

  1. Hello Ronda! I just discovered your blog and am in LOVE!!! I teach Kindergarten at the League City (Texas) church of Christ. Are your Who? What? When" Where" etc. cards something you sell or offer for downloads? I also see that you present workshops for teachers. Do you have a schedule that guests can come attend? I could not find another way to contact you, but feel free to email me at hardingflamingo{at}yahoo{dot}com. Thank you so very much!!! Kim Smith

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! Where did you find your templates to print? I'd love to use them! Julie2794 at aol dot com :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love, Love, Love your song!! It's perfect for my lesson on obedience!! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hello Ronda!
    I'm from Ukraine.
    Often I read your blog.
    Where you found your templates for printing from the lesson?
    I'd love to use them!
    Many thanks for the answer! lidysik1980@mail.ru

    ReplyDelete
  5. Where can I find the templates you used? I teach at a Christian School and am currently on this Bible story this week. My email is tina_thielen@hotmail.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello, I love your ideas. Where can I get the templates you used? My email is leenavgeorge@gmail.com thank you

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hola Ronda gracias a Dios que aun esta este pin me encanto que Dios siga dandonle sabiduria gracias por compartir sus ideas son importantes

      Delete